CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Things That Go Bump

Reoccurring themes. A few months ago, I struggled with taking two steps forward, one step back (or sometimes one step forward, two steps back) with training after a bout of stupid little ailments.

Those feelings are skulking back in, though they are more psychological rather than physical this time.

After
Smith Mountain Lake, the doubts about Eagleman started to creep in. I was happy with my SML swim time, but was queasy thinking that the Eagleman swim would be about three times longer – a distance I can do easily in the pool, but in the open water with tons of people more aggressive than I am? I pictured myself pulling off to the side to let everyone pass. One step back.

Last Sunday, the Richmond Triathlon Club offered an open water swim clinic. The river was noticeably warmer than SML or the TRIgirl swim practice. The warmer water really made a difference in my comfort level. We practiced drafting, which reassured me about swimming in close proximity to other racers (in most races I look for a space cushion – and will swim away from other racers to stay in it – though drafting can save up to 30% in effort). I also tried out a long john wetsuit – liked the extra freedom around my shoulders. The clinic helped me gain some confidence for Eagleman – I can do this! One step forward.

Yesterday,
Triathlonmom shared she’d found great tips on Desiree Flicker’s triathlon site. I dug around for awhile and found her 2006 Eagleman race report.

Jellyfish wrapping themselves around wrists.
A strong voice inside yelling get out of the water.
Punishing waves.
So glad to hit land.

Not exactly the account you want to read – from a pro no less.

As "girly" as it may sound, I'm freaking out more about the jellyfish than the rough conditions. Where I come from, you don’t have to deal with jellyfish until late July or August. Gross! I’m thinking carefully about the wetsuit deal. The full sleeve would protect me more from these blechy creatures.

One big step backward. Until I can find jellyfish repellant.

5 comments:

Diane said...

I've read that you can coat yourself with vaseline and not even notice the jellyfish... worth a try.

Jonah Holland said...

There actually is a jelly fish blocker that Nancy Toby has writen about on her blog if you want to search for it. Questionable as to whether it works though.
I'm surprised there were jellyfish at Eagleman. From what I've heard they aren't usually out that early. Cheasapeakeman, on the other hand, is another story!

Melissa said...

you just tell those jellyfish who's boss and they'll be scared and run away. you can do it.

Nancy Toby said...

The jellyfish stuff is called "Safe Sea", you can do a search for it online. It definitely works, it worked perfectly for me last September. However, I've done Eagleman twice, and I was probably in the water at least twice as long as Desiree, and never ever felt a jellyfish. They're not out now, honest!! In the late summer and fall, yes, but not in June. It's been a very late spring here, besides. Even if you ARE stung by them, it's only an annoying, itchy sting, not dangerous nor really painful.

There's not much jellyfish can touch if you wear a long sleeved wetsuit, anyway!!

margo said...

i'm with fave - jellyfish are pansies. if you just yell "boo" under the water they tuck their tails and run.