CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, May 18, 2007

My Jimmy Shoes

Remember the Seinfeld episode where Jimmy “likes Elaine” and hooks Kramer up with the special training sneakers?

Sometimes truth is not so far off from fiction.

About a week ago, I read a post by
TriJack where he was reviewing his new Newton sneakers. A glowing evaluation, I might add. I checked out the Newton site to learn all about the shoe's design technology.

Intriguing.

So, fast forward to Monday morning. I was at Guppy swim class and noticed Ironwoman Canada looked to be wearing Newtons. Turns out, they recently sponsored her. She shared that she also thinks they are awesome. She asked me what size shoe I wear – she needed to up a size.

Ironwoman Canada kicked off her shoes and told me to try them on. Sweet! Her current sneakers fit my feet perfectly!

I'll try anything that might improve my running - especially if it doesn’t involve physical exertion.

They were like air. So light and comfortable. I ran a few steps and sensed the “actuator lungs” that are supposed to promote a natural running form. Thank you, Ironwoman Canada!

Yesterday was my first chance to test them out. After a nice, relaxed 16 mile bike ride I put the “Jimmy” shoes on for a six mile run. Maybe it’s the power of suggestion, but they seemed to help my body stay focused in more forward motion. While they weren’t quite as cushiony as my other sneakers, the fact that they were so lightweight made it easier to practice the small, fast steps I am supposed to be working on to improve my form. Just like TriJack and the website claim – there is a "barefoot" running sensation, but in a good, supportive way. I thought about stopping after four miles, remembering the shin splints and knee pain I had the last time I tried to switch sneakers, but I felt too good. I did the six miles averaging just under 10 minute miles – and the first three were at an easy pace. Not bad!

No shin splints or leg pain today, either.

Jimmy has got the moves and can jump, but maybe there is hope TRIgirl 40 will figure out this running thing.

7 comments:

margo said...

i'm no good at running either - power to the magic shoes!

Cyndi said...

I SOOOO needed the magic shoes today!!!! I'm glad that you found some shoes that help make running easier. ANYTHING to make it easier is a very, very good thing!!

Jonah Holland said...

Awesome! Must have been a great day!

Melissa said...

i want magic shoes!! awesome!! boston - here you come!

Diane said...

Ironwoman Canada talked about them in her journal/blog and made me want to try them - glad to hear another positive review! Do you have the training model or the race model? I'm checking with Dr. S this week on how they might work with plantar facii and will let you know...

Anonymous said...

This blog post cracked me up. I forgot about good ol' Jimmy.....
Hope you still love the shoes!

SQ

Robin said...

I remember that episode - too funny! I saw these shoes on TriJack's blog too and am intrigued. Now two more glowing reviews and I might have to take the plunge. I could really use some magic shoes for sure!