CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Setbacks

But don't you ever give in
Taking one step forward, slipping two steps back
There's an empty feeling that you can't forget
Reaching out, reaching out for a helping hand
...
But now I'm the one to decide
Who needs, well I don't need, who needs you?
(from "Who Needs You")


These Queen lyrics have been stuck in my head - like my own personal soundtrack.

Was it just a few weeks ago I was so happily and proudly writing about PRs?

Before the nasty chest cold. Before the bike fall. And before today's appearance of some gunky eye weirdness. Things I didn't need if I had my druthers.

Yeah, I've plugged along through about 80-90% of the workouts - but they haven't been great. A medium distance run instead of intense repeats. A horrible first swim after being out of the water for a week and a half. A pathetic long distance run at a slower pace than I've done for over a year.

Maybe it is my own fault. I try to ignore being sick. Usually I think it works to my advantage. With the help of a few over-the-counter drugs, life seems normal. And before I know it, the irritating symptoms have disappeared. But not always. More than once, I've stubbornly tried to do it all, wheezing and coughing, to only later end up in the doctor's office with a diagnosis of pneumonia. Today, TRIgirl LD looked at my eyes with concern suggesting I might have pink eye. To which I said - and believed whole heartedly - nah, I think it is just allergies. (I still am not convinced it is pink eye and reserve the right to wait till tomorrow before even considering it.)

Positive thinking - I am a firm believer that it is just as, if not more, powerful than any drug.

In the meantime, I'm itching to feel strong again. To continue making progress. To stop worrying that these annoying interferences are causing major setbacks that will take my backpacker, non-athlete self, weeks to regain.


I'm hoping, that maybe instead of taking one step forward and slipping two steps back, I've accomplished two steps forward and have only slid one step back.

I'm really hoping.

9 comments:

LoneStarCrank said...

Call it fate, destiny, faith...whatever you like, but I think it's those times when we question our ability and progress that signals true growth. It shows you are seeking something more, and for that --through the sickness-- be grateful.

Get better, listen to your body and realize it will be easier taking those "forward steps" after adversity. Keep at it!

Ellie Hamilton said...

Geez, when it rains it pours. Might as well get it all over with at once? Get well soon! Rest!

Glad you like my new blog look
:-) Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Get that pink eye taken care of. It has definitely been going around. I think you will find once you feel better again that you have not taken any steps back and will feel as strong as ever.

DL

Diane said...

Some advice - since I have had just about everything going around this winter - go to the doctor! Get eye drops! Now!!! I had pink eye a few weeks ago which was a symptom of an upper respitory (sp?) infection. The antibiotic eye drops work fast.

Feel better! Once you do, you will see how strong you still are.

Jonah Holland said...

Me and my kids had the pink-eye-fever-cough thingy too. Doctor said it was viral....drops won't do any good and it clears up by itself...but of course i can't say what kind you have, if any.

I love that two steps forward one step back idea...i'm sure that's where you are ...and in no time you'll be hopping along forward by leaps and bounds.

TriGirl 40 said...

Thanks to all for your encouraging words. It is pink eye - but the drops are already working. I'm skipping swimming tonight, but will be back on track tomorrow for a run. I've also decided I am done being sick for the rest of year. Thanks again!!!

Anonymous said...

You've been working out like crazy, so your body probably just needed some rest time. You will be ready to go when you need to be - that's the kind of trigirl you are. :)

SQ

P.S. buy new eye make-up - pink eye contaminates it. I've had it many times (the life of a teacher)

Anonymous said...

It truly is those roadblocks that make us stronger, DB. Without them training would not be the challenge that it is. We grow and learn from each part of our training-both the positive and negative parts of it. You're a trooper and I am happy you're listening to your body.
Have you tried Emergen-C?
Love the stuff esp this time of year.
XOXO
G

TriGirl 40 said...

G - Yes, TriGirl TB gave me a week's worth of Emergen-C - which I have gratefully and happily been using. Thanks for the encouragement!