CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

More Vacation Training - Swim, Cough, Run

After the 8.5 mile run (at a surprising 10:08 pace) early Saturday morning, the rest of my girls-weekend-mini-vacation featured an unusual triathlon training regime – swim, cough, run.

Saturday, we headed out to the Miami Seaquarium for a dolphin swim. Several years ago, I set a few lifetime goals. One was to do a triathlon. Another was to swim with the dolphins. Last year, I had my first opportunity to share the water with these amazing animals – and was really looking forward to repeating the experience. How often do you get to accomplish a life goal more than once (well, other than triathlons!)?

I just love dolphins. In general, I am fascinated by animals - and am a proud anthropomorphist. Spending time up close and personal with four beautiful dolphins was a highlight of the trip for me. They flipped, jumped, twisted and waved for us. We even received a few kisses. One of the dolphins was a proud new mother – and we watched as her baby swam nearby, keeping close tabs on her Mama. Most memorable were the “rides” with the dolphins – one on the dorsal fin and one on a boogie board as the dolphin propelled us forward by our feet. If only I could latch onto a dolphin in Panama City next November!

Sometime between the dolphin swim and Sunday morning, the cold I had been fighting for a few days took a turn for the worse. Major sore throat, chest phlegm, sneezing, coughing, yada, yada, yada. Thankfully, TRIgirl MJW (she and DL were also feeling under the weather) was equipped with Zicam and aspirin – and I was able to pump enough meds into my body to still enjoy the great dinners (loved
Bed, Nobu and Opa!), dancing, shopping – and even a few hours of beach time.

South Beach has one of the most fabulous oceanfront boardwalks I’ve ever seen – it seems to go on forever – with views of the gorgeous aqua waters, white sands, swaying palm trees and upscale hotels. On Monday morning, I decided I wasn’t going to let some stupid cold force me to forgo my last chance to run along it – especially because the weather was finally warming up a bit. So I joined TRIgirls MJW and DL for a five mile run – including a 4 mile negative split. And while my negative split wasn’t so hot (20:45/19:45) – it was still one of the most beautiful and enjoyable runs I’ve ever experienced.

Now it is back to reality – and a tough, slightly guilt-ridden decision to take a rest day to send this cold off on its merry way before slipping back into the normal training schedule.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

How cool to swim witht eh dolphins and I am so proud of you girls' runs! you are like lightening!

Jonah Holland said...

sounds like a great time. I bet you learned a few tricks from those guys you can use at IMFL. They are the best swimmers of all.