CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Words of Wisdom - By Buttercup

Now that Mommy is officially over 40, I believe she has earned the privilege to learn my secrets for aging gracefully. Most people don’t believe it when they hear my age – and my youthful glow is due to certain rules I’ve followed ever since being a puppy.

  1. Rest your body only on the softest materials – Why should you ever expose yourself to hard surfaces? Personally, I insist on at least one pillow, even if it is already on something soft, like a bed or couch. Sometimes I am lucky enough to score two pillows. In addition to being comfortable, soft surfaces are also very good for your joints and promote restful sleep (see number 2).
  2. Take naps – Beauty rest is very important. Spend at least six hours a day napping. On pillows and blankets.
  3. Demand body rubs (Mommy calls these massages) – Between keeping blood circulating and reducing stress, I recommend the rub as often as possible. Preferably several times a day and preferably while resting on soft surfaces. If someone stops the rub, nudge them with your nose or swat them in the face until they start rubbing you again.
  4. Give in to your cravings – Remember, if you do not occasionally give in to your cravings, you will end up becoming obsessed with your desired delicacy. For some reason, Mommy does not understand my penchant for poop. That is alright, but I must point out, I, on the other hand, am very enlightened and respect all of Mommy’s hankerings for cheese, steak – and even wine.
  5. Show your independence – I’ve never understood those dogs that just blindly follow every command. Now, I know all the words Mommy uses with me. I just choose when to listen. It is important to be your own person, especially if you are a woman. Mommy recognizes my "You've got to be kidding look" when she asks me to do something I would rather not do. Especially if it involves leaving a cushy surface.
  6. Exercise moderately – I have never been one for extreme exertions. That was always up to my brothers. There is no need to dart from window to window frantically chasing squirrels. For goodness sake, they are outside and can’t be caught. It is going to take a lot more for me to leave my pillow throne. Since I have never overworked my joints and muscles, I move very well now. I am bit worried that Mommy is ignoring this rule since she is training for these silly triathlons. Maybe some good new pillows would convince her otherwise.

6 comments:

Robin said...

Are you sure you aren't my cat?

LOL, I love your advice!

Cyndi said...

Buttercup is certainly smarter than me!!! I'm going to post this at the house so everyone knows exactly what I must do to maintain my youth!! I LOVE the idea of 6 hour naps every day!!!

Cyndi

Melissa said...

Princess is following these "wise words by Buttercup" regularly. As she naps on my lap...at work today! She is almost 7 and I hope she ages as gracefully as you have, Buttercup. ARF! ARF!

Anonymous said...

You gotta love the Butt and her expert advice.

~TG LD

Anonymous said...

Dear Buttercup,

You are one wise little canine. And cute, too.

SusieQ

Grandison said...

Ahhhh....Buttercup. You smart puppy.