CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, April 12, 2007

A Brick to be Thankful For

OK, we are into our second week of serious training. I feel like I work, train, eat and sleep. If I can fit it one or two house chores, it is a great day.

But there are times, like today's brick workout, where I am just so happy to be a part of this whole triathlon experience - so grateful to be a member of such a great community.

Today's workout was an hour run, followed by an hour bike, at West Creek. During the two hour workout, I circled the loop four times (1 run, 3 bike).

Within a few minutes of starting the run, three TRIgirls (Triathlonmom, TriDi and Annnn) rode by with big hellos and great TRIgirl catcalls.

Around mile 1 of the run, a few of the Guppies whizzed by - with encouraging words.

Mile 2, Ironman MR rode by for the first time. I could tell he was in the zone, but he still took the time to give me a hello nod.

Soon thereafter, TRIboyz GG (aka TRIgirl SJG's husband) biked by - with early happy birthday wishes. And he also gave me the first of several passing high fives.

Around the 4th mile, TRIgirls LD and MW waved across the median while heading in the opposite direction on their run.

I ran into Coach B around mile 5 - praise from the coach always feels good.

At my run to bike transition - I chatted with Ironman MR - and saw TRIgirl MF as she finished up her bike and was heading off to start her run. Extended my break a few minutes more by talking with a Guppy who was getting ready for his run.

The bike loops held several more acknowledgements and waves - though the crowd gradually thinned as the sun set.

All those welcoming faces. All the words of encouragement. All these great people I am privileged to call my friends and training buddies.

A big THANK YOU for making today's brick a much happier experience. You all rock!

3 comments:

TJ said...

that is awesome. i'm lucky to see another runner/biker when i'm training. you're very fortunate.

Melissa said...

I agree, hot stuff! It is so nice to go out there alone new to this whole sport and know that when I am there I will see lots of training buddies and am provided an extra push to one day keep up with you pros! See you around the loop!

Cyndi said...

Oh, woe is me! I am at the beach preparing for tomorrow's brick (you know that means I'm eating crap so I'm forced to work it off tomorrow!) It's going to be a lonely 24 mile bike/10 mile run tomorrow without you all!! Everyone I'm with thinks I'm a nutball (which may be true but it certainly wasn't defined by my deciding to do Ironman!) I've totally missed working out the with gang this week and will miss you all oh so much tomorrow! Train hard!

Cyndi