CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 02, 2010

True

I've been a bit neglectful posting over these past few holiday weeks. Just like my training, my blogging may have needed some down time.

The break has been a good thing. It has given me a chance to wonder if even back packers need a reality check. Eight hours of exercise a week is still probably more than the average American. At what point are everyday triathletes sucked into thinking that this level of activity isn't enough?

I just spent an amazing Christmas with family and childhood friends - and a fantastic New Year's weekend with more recent favorite buddies. The first day of 2010 included a fun, new adventure planned by Karen's Shawn and Shawn's Karen for Barricuda BL, The Should be Sponsored Wife and me - a trail run to find a letterbox in the beautiful, quiet and remote Nags Head Nature Reserve.

And now, while a wicked wind whips through the beach on this cold, but sunny, second day of January, I've had some time to think about the upcoming year. A word to encapsulate my hopes for 2010 has escaped me, but if I could share the objective in a phrase - it would be "Finding my place - being the best I can be doing what I love.

Meaning the :

  • peace of the water
  • thrill of the ride
  • challenges of the run
  • love of the outdoors
  • quest of new adventures
  • joy of friends, family and training mates.
I do not have the athletic gifts to excel at triathlon, but I am grateful to have the desire, drive and determination to be a part of this unique community.

After typing these last few sentences - a word started to make sense.

"True."

In 2010 I am going to be OK with being true to who I am and what I want to do.

Happy New Year everyone!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Perfect word for you :) Love the post

tri-ing races not cases said...

Enjoyed ringing in the new year with you. Here's to your 2010!

Anonymous said...

I LOVED this post! Be true to yourself...."truer" words were never spoken. And I love that nature reserve, too. Not too sure I'd brave it Jan. 2nd, but in the summer for sure!

Diane said...

Love that! Also good because you are a true friend. :)