CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, July 24, 2009

Arriving - With Hope and Magic Candy

The past few days have been busy.

On Monday and Tuesday, I wrapped up things at work and finished a few last minute race preparations. On both days I came home to wonderful little surprises waiting in my mailbox that left me feeling a little verklempt. A beautiful silver and turquoise bracelet from TriDi - inscribed with my 2009 word - "Hope." I've been wearing it since and letting the inspirational message soothe my race nerves. Then, the next day, SuperAnnn left me a wonderful "brick" card - and four types of "magic" candy - to boost my body and spirits on the tougher parts of Sunday's 112 mile Adirondack ride.

Tuesday night, the hubby and I joined the Barricudas for the trek to Placid. We packed the car to the rafters and had a smooth drive, with a stop in Scranton. Their Peloton SUV was nice and comfy for catching up on some sleep, too. Driving into Placid, we were psyched to see that the top rollers before the descent had been repaved - looking smooth and fast!


Wednesday we pulled into our lovely Hawthorne home (the same one we stayed in for Torturefest) around 1:00. Our next door neighbors include great training buddies and sherpas. After unloading the car, we headed to the Cottage for lunch. As our parents were arriving (with food to pack our fridge for the week), the Barricudas and I headed down to to Mirror Lake for a practice loop. The water was chilly, but not miserable. Swimming on the cable was awesome, though I reminded myself after about 10-12 minutes that I would not be able to rely on seeing it on race day, so I practiced sighting on landmarks. I even found a way to get off course on the cable swim - since the cable at the second turn goes in two directions - and - I chose the wrong one! (Real Deal, don't joke about those pink painted feet.) After the swim, I had a short run, shower - and then it was time for dinner at the Boathouse.

Walking back from dinner, my mother shared with the group that she learned our house supposedly had a ghost. Minutes later, we opened the door and walked into the living room noticing that all the furniture has been rearranged. The ghosts has a good time while they visited, leaving behind beer bottles and cheap wine - and even helping themselves to a few cookies.

Thursday started around 9:00 with a ride of the first 15-16 miles of the bike course, including the bastard climb out of town - and the descent. I was a little worried if I'd be able to handle the descent as well using Ironwoman Canada's race tires - but all went great - best downhill I've had here yet and reaching over 38 miles per hour. Blakey Blake and Karen B told me I should shoot for 40 - and if the weather is decent on race day, I am going to give it a shot! Barricuda BL also had a confidence building ride - and we were happy to end the workout with her parents picking us up in Keene. After, the Barricudas went off for a run, while I headed to do another loop of the swim course. The water felt a little chillier, but I stayed on course this time.

The Barricudas and I registered. So now I have my race band on one wrist, with hope on the other. It was fun to see the Barricudas receive their first M-Dot item.

Last night, dinner was at the Whiteface Lodge and Inn. What a gorgeous resort and restaurant! We all had amazing meals and lovely wines (in moderation, sigh). And wouldn't you know, those ghosts decided to visit again, rearranging the living furniture, leaving replacement cookies, having a few drinks, helping with a crossword puzzle - and leaving salt and pepper in interesting places.

Today - no workouts. For some odd reason, my shins feel on the verge of shin splints. We did a little stroll around Ironman Village - and may go for a little tour of the bike course later.

But don't tell the ghosts.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Annnn's magic candy is the best stuff on earth!

Ceeej said...

Thank you sooooo much for writing from the venue. I'm very excited for you and living vicariously - meanwhile I'm playing 3 rounds of golf this weekend to do my new endurance athlete event!

tri-ing races not cases said...

I'm so glad I get to spend the pre-race time with you! You've definitely helped soothe my pre-race jitters and get me ready for the race.