CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, August 29, 2008

Now That Is Cool

It seemed like TRIgirl DL's and my plans for a good bike workout yesterday would be thwarted by the oppressive rain hanging over Richmond these past few days.

Until...

we decided to head over to the Downtown YMCA after work.

Ever since choosing the gym instead of hitting Osborne Turnpike, I'd been planning on an easy spin - maybe catching up with a few good trashy magazines.

TRIgirl DL may have had similar thoughts as I noticed a paperback tucked away with her towel as we made our way over to the cardio machines.

Neither one of us were very familiar with the gym, so when we noticed two stationary bikes tucked away in the corner, we grabbed them.

Then we noticed the full color monitors.

"Sweet," I thought to myself, "maybe I'll watch some Oprah for the next hour!"

Then we realized the screens were designed for video game type experiences, controlled by the expresso stationary bikes.

We played around with the controls to pick a course. Prior to "Lake-Placid-sign-up" days, I would have selected the flattest ride - or close too it. But instead, we both picked the interactive route with the toughest climbs - the "Alpine Splash."



Which, if you could pack the Lake Placid course into three miles, the profile would look surprisingly similar. I swear there was a section that cruised along past the same river that I rode by in Keene during our practice ride in July.

We pedaled along - and after knocking a few virtual cyclists off road - I realized, hmmm - I should pay attention - I actually had to steer on this stationary bike.

And after spinning like a madwoman to get nowhere - I figured out that I should actually use the up/down gearing to adjust to the virtual climbs and descents.

The next hour passed by pretty quickly, with both of us sweating like crazy, watching the scenic views and whizzing by many generic looking cyclists as we repeated Alpine Splash and a few other courses.

This new indoor option would nearly be perfect if we could bring our aerobars and bike seats.

Because it has been a long time since my butt has been this sore or I've had such nasty chaffing!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Is that the course that has indomitable snowman throwing snoballs? My issue with the thing is you can't coast, or draft. So much for realism. :-)