CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

New Challenges

Lately, I've been wondering why I seem to be on a path to try new extremes in swimming, biking, running vs. just working to get better with what I had been doing.

Like choosing to swim 4.4 miles in some crazy current. (OK, I wasn't expecting this one.)

Like struggling with overcoming my fears and ineptitude with biking hills by riding the Blue Ridge Parkway - not just once a few weeks back, but again this coming weekend.

Like agreeing to take my clumsy self on a trail run this week.

Like watching my arms, legs and butt swell up with the burden of these new efforts. And not in a pretty way (which really pisses me off).

Like considering - and putting all the pieces in place - to sign up for a race that, once again, I'll just be happy to finish.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I think about this sometimes. I'm still at the point where this is just so damn much fun that's why I do it. I hope not to get to the point where I'm trying to prove something to myself. Or maybe I'll get to that point and be okay with it. Because I'll have a point I'm trying to prove. Am I making any sense? 'Cause I don't sometimes.

Sorry your swelling is not the pretty kind.

Whatever the reasons, you are giving yourself the gift of health and fitness. If for that reason alone I think it's valuable.

I also think signing up for a race that you'll just be happy to finish is honorable and worthwhile as it gets.

Kate said...

You too? You guys are rock LP.

Diane said...

I think it's because you are totally awesome.

Fave said...

you are swelling with fabulousness!

tri-ing races not cases said...

trails and hills will make us strong :)