CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Riding the Blue Ridge

A little over a year ago, several brave TRIgirls ventured out to ride the Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway.

I did not join them and basically thought they were crazy. I may have even swore I'd never try that route, especially after hearing some of the ride reports.

Never say never.

One of my goals for 2008 is to be less afraid and more confident riding hills. Which has since involved the
equipment change - and some attitude adjustments.

The equipment switch-a-roo did not go quite as planned. While greatly enjoying my first kayaking experience with a few team mates along the lovely North Anna River on Friday, the bike store called to share that the new Dura-Ace set-up had not arrived in time. Thankfully and coincidentally, Coach B was at the store WHILE this was all going on and basically told the bike dudes that they needed to figure something out (thank you, Coach B) - there would be no excuses to avoid the Blue Ridge ride. The bike store hooked me up with some temporary store gear, which seemed fine as I checked it out while cruising up and down the street.

Saturday morning, we met at 5:45 to carpool the twoish hours to the Blue Ridge Mountains. Coach B reminded us to enjoy the view once as drove the Blue Ridge Parkway to our starting point - as we'd be enjoying it in a slightly different mode on our bikes. Ironman JW kindly offered to brave the drive with three other TRIgirls and me.

I dozed off for a bit, but was wide awake as we traversed up the Parkway.

We are supposed to ride THAT?

Steep hills that bordered beautiful mountain views, but seemed forever long in the car with some scary looking curves and steep drops.

Gulp.

There was no turning back, though I had visions of being pulled over on the side of the road waiting for the rest of the crew to come and get me.

The first leg was about 13 and half miles to the Blue Ridge's "mile 0" Visitor's Center. The hills were gradual, tough climbs, but the downhills seemed longer. The ride seemed doable. But I can't say I quite enjoyed it. I didn't know what to expect - the downhills seemed very long, which was scary for the first leg, but also a bit perturbing as to what waited ahead as I needed to turn around and hit the same stretch again in the opposite direction.

The temporary gearing was less than perfect. Big clunks and sputters as I shifted from the big to small chain ring - causing lots of adjustments and loss of what little momentum I had gained.

We regrouped at mile 0 and Coach B wondered where my smile was. I told him I was reserving all comments until the end of the ride.

We headed back up - Coach B rode with me for a bit and gave me lots of good advice and encouragement. The first three miles after the turnaround was a continuous uphill of varying grades. Then a welcome downhill break - then another three to fourish uphill climb that seemed the most challenging of the day. I was not very happy during this stretch. Patriot Sangria's temporary gears were extra clunky when they were pushed to the limits - which was frustrating (maybe, ideally, the first ride with the new gearing would have been less strenuous). I started to plan on calling it a day whenever I finally reached the parking lot. Coach B backtracked a bit during this period and told me that one of his team leaders would not quit and would still do the full 35 mile option. I stayed in "we'll see" mode. TRIgirl SL, who'd been sweeper on the first leg, glided by at one point - and I witnessed true climbing ability. Finally the monster hill - dubbed the oxygen deprivation section by TRIgirls KO and LD was over. The rest of the ride seemed easier, though I was a bit disheartened because any ground I made (which wasn't much) on the uphills, was often tossed aside as team mates whizzed by me on the downhills. I tried to brake only when encountering the steeper descends or more curvy sections, but it was obvious that I was weaker, if that was possible, on the downhills, rather than the uphills.

The second 13.5 miles (1 hour 8 minutes) was tougher than the first (53 minutes), but finally, the parking lot was in sight! We pulled over and regrouped. I would have happily called it a day, had it not been for Coach B's words, TRIgirl KO's promise that the next section wasn't as bad and TRIgirls KB and JB's encouragement to just get the ride done. We headed out - and I really did enjoy the last 9ish miles of more gentle (this had become a relative term) climbs and rolls, ending the day's bike on a good note.

Unbeknown to several of us doing the 35 mile option, many folks planned on doing some or all of the follow-up run the following day. So, TRIgirls JB, KB, KB's husband and sweet dog, Gracie, TBro and I headed out on a nearby trail - which was really a pretty decent hike. TRIgirl KB and I quickly decided a good, one hour, steady walking hike was sufficient vs. trying to run the darn thing (TRIgirl JB said she walked most of it - but was quite a bit ahead of us with the boys). Actually, it was a rare opportunity. I couldn't remember the last time I hiked. We weren't dressed for the occasion in our bike gear - but it was nice to be climbing rocks and leafy trails - with Gracie always looking out for us, making sure we were OK. TRIgirl KB (aka Little Miss Sunshine - perfect nickname for my hiking buddy) chatted and enjoyed the cross training opportunity.

When we arrived back at camp, many of the 35-45 milers were waiting with an impressive food and drink buffet. A little while later, a few of my remaining carpool buddies finished up their runs as the feasters were packing-up their cars and heading back to Richmond.

We enjoyed another little spread together, before hitting a local Bar-B-Que dive for some of the best potato salad I'd ever had. And a little post ride celebratory beverages.

We drove back to town, reliving the ride, tormenting Ironman JW with our girly talk and looking at pictures from TRIgirls' Fave and KO's cameras.

A long day over, some progress on the hill phobia addressed. My pace wasn't great, but I finished the 35 mile option feeling okay. Other than the planned regroupings, I didn't have to stop or walk any of the ride.

Though I still can't imagine attempting this type of ride for 112 miles.

4 comments:

tri-ing races not cases said...

Great report and proud of you for your achievement. Disappointed to have missed it. It'll be better next time once your equipment is straight. Heard encouraging news about comparing the BR to Placid last night.

Unknown said...

You were awesome. You are just way too hard on yourself, young lady.

xo
sq

katebott said...

Loved our trail run/hike... it was a great change of pace :0) Gracie slept the whole way home!

Kate said...

Well you were out there, loving it or not you rose to the occasion and did a great job. .