CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Race Report - Route 66 Sprint - Saturday's Relay

First, some background.

This weekend's triathlon doubleheader was thanks to my company's incredible CEO. A year or so ago, he was bitten by the tri-bug. Since, then, he has promoted wellness and exercise through company-wide programs, including coordinating tri competitions during this year's annual conference. I am so fortunate and grateful to work for corporate executives who, not only offer outstanding medical benefits, but also promote a healthy and active lifestyle.

Over 50 (of about 470ish employees across the nation) participated in yesterday's Route 66 Sprint Triathlon. Most signed up for a relay leg, but a few were undertaking their first sprint distance race.

A bus was waiting at 5:45 race morning to take our group to El Reno. I can't imagine the thoughts of those who watched our crew (about 20% of the day's participants) disembark the bus and grab bikes from a UHaul.

Knowing a few folks were newbies, I offered help, such as gently telling coworkers that race chips belonged around ankles vs. wrists.

Remembering the shock of open water compared with pool swimming, I encouraged my relay swim partner to test out El Reno lake, a very murky body of water, with a strong current.

We swam a few strokes before I realized she was trying to swim freestyle with her head completely above the water. Then she was panicking. She did not think she could do the swim.

I tried to conjure up every tip I'd ever learned about feeling comfortable in the water. We worked on swimming to and from landmarks closer to shore and where we could always touch the bottom. She was doing better.

Soon, after, the race started. This was my first relay (bike leg) so I watched with a bunch of coworkers from the shore. Right from the gun, the panic was apparent and the kayakers rescued a few racers before they reached the first buoy. The boats brought in about 20 racers - but I did not see my coworker. I breathed a cautious sigh of relief and headed to transition to wait for her.

The first wave racers were pulling in, as well as some relay racers from my company. Suddenly, my coworker was at my side. She asked for assistance at the second buoy - and was pulled in by a rescue boat. Officially DQed, but still excited - she had made her personal goal to swim to the second buoy.

Fumbling for a second about whether we could still continue as a relay team, we switched the chip anklet and I grabbed Patriot Sangria.

Off to ride the 12ish worst miles I'd ever encountered.

There were small rolling hills.

And the strongest wind I've ever encountered. Not just an occasional wicked gust or two - but a constant crosswind that challenged my ability to stay aero - a battle I often lost as Patriot Sangria was being blown across the road. The last, long gradual hill back to transition seemed treacherous as it was smack into the ridiculous headwind.

Twelve and a half miles on the bike took me about 44 minutes.

In transition, I happily handed the chip to our team's runner - who rocked the 5k in about 29 minutes!

I loved watching my fellow employees race - for many this was their first triathlon. Their pride, excitement and joy left me exhilerated. I heard more than once about "next time."

We traded stories about the day.

We watched several teams (somehow even mine) receive awards.

We celebrated.

It was incredible.

Though I can't say I was very excited about the next day's Olympic race - and grappling with 25 miles of Oklahoma wind.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

As always, you were there offering support and encouragement. You are the bestest!

sq

tri-ing races not cases said...

Sounds like a challenge but a great experience! Can't wait to hear about the Olympic race the next day.

Diane said...

Sounds like you got your mojo back? (Not that I for one second believe you ever lost it...)

Tea said...

The winds have been awful this winter/spring/whatever!

Even battling the winds, it sounds like it was great. I love the fact that your CEO does things like that.

Jonah Holland said...

Once a team leader, always a team leader. They were so lucky to have you!
Now, tell them the big news about Sunday!!! You are so modest.

TriGirl Kate O said...

Do tell about the olympic! Let me guess, you podium-ed?!
ko

katebott said...

Can't wait to hear your Oly report... congrats on some beautiful racing!