CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Shifting Gears

While not quite a year in review or list of new resolutions, some changes seem to be a'brewing.

Last year, the past 12 months, have been a static-charged experience. There was so much to learn, so many distances to accomplish, so many obstacles to overcome. To think, last December, I couldn't swim in a wetsuit or take in more than 100 calories during a workout, let alone complete an IM, a half IM or even a marathon.

It's been a crazy ride.

Now, there is less anxiety stepping into off-season training. Rather than continuing along the path of constant uncharted territories, the next year is already feeling a little more...familiar. And with that comes a sense of peace - and dare I say - confidence?

I don't have to participate in every race that pops up - I can choose the ones I really want to do.

I don't have to stick to every single workout exactly as prescribed - I've learned enough about my body to brave adapting some training sessions on my own.

I don't have to worry (as much) about whether I can merely do something - I can focus more on attempting to do it better.

As crazy as it may sound, I've been feeling charged since IMFL - like there are untapped wells still be explored in my triathlon future.

Instead of painstakingly plotting every minute detail of the roads ahead, I think I am going to sit back a bit and see where this next journey takes me.

2 comments:

Mike said...

What a great 'place' to be in ... I'm sure more success comes from being relaxed about things ... I look forward to following and learning from your progress in my own journey to 'Ironman'.

Robin said...

I'm glad you're feeling relaxed and confident about the future. That sure beats the "iron blues". I'm really feeling that this off-season too. It feels like a good place to be in, when I don't really have anything I "have to" (in my own mind) do anymore, just things I *want* to do.