CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Favorite Gifts

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!

For the past few years, one person or another in my immediate family has suggested scaling back for Christmas, celebrating more simply. But it has yet to really happen. A special present one year, a good year financially the next, the plans are usually thwarted before the Christmas trees are decorated. This year was no different.

But my favorite Christmas presents this year were not the most expensive ones (though I did love them, too).


Given how well I’ve treated myself during this Ironman year, between race fees and new equipment, I told my husband not to worry about me for Christmas, except for one thing. Something I didn’t even realize I wanted/needed this year until we put up the tree and I noticed the many different wire fox terrier ornaments we’d collected over the years – but alas, no bichons! I couldn’t believe it – Fezzy has been with us over a year and we did not have one ornament for him. Maybe it was because he was a surprise around Christmas time last year. Or maybe it was because we decided to not put up a tree last December.

And so, my husband listened. A week or so before Christmas, there was a package waiting on the stoop with two adorable bichon ornaments. Our tree seems much more complete and pretty with these latest additions.

On Christmas Eve, my brother and sister-in-law gave my husband and me a beautiful glass ornament honoring our sweet Wesley who crossed over to the Rainbow Bridge in May 2006. Between the hand-painted picture capturing Wesley’s spunky eyes and cute face – and a “forever in our hearts” message – I think I teared up for about 10 minutes. They also gave an ornament to my mom and dad for Shelby, another fox terrier that shared our home and memories.

Then, Christmas Day, the hubby and I were to be traveling I95 while most folks would still be celebrating
. My crazy and wonderful family rushed around to squeeze in one more get together before the road trip back to Virginia. And in the midst of a quick meal and packing the car, my brother and sister-in-law gave us another thoughtful surprise - a frame with Fezzy and Buttercup’s pawprints pressed carefully on one side – and room for a special picture on the other. I’m already debating where to display it (after I figure out which pictures to use)!

Presents that remind me of my furkids – what could be better?

1 comments:

mommy to 2, feels like 4. said...

Your family is so sweet!! Merry Christmas!!