CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Surreal Bike World

This past Saturday, I took advantage of the cooler weather and hit the road for a long bike ride. The 68 miles I pedalled was a deviation from our training schedule, but with many TRIgirls competing in various races or on vacation, offered the opportunity to ride by myself - to gain some experience riding long - alone - and to focus on playing with my nutrition.

I have to say, riding by myself is helping to gradually boost my confidence - the clipping in and out, the unnerving proximity to macho trucks trailing boats, the heightened awareness of the surrounding environment. While all these factors make the rides more stressful - and tire me mentally - I am hoping they are also fostering skills that will eventually help me develop into a stronger cyclist. But I am also thrilled and relieved that next week's 75 miler will be led by Coach B and will include many TRIgirls!

Nutrition continues to be a struggle. From what I've heard and read, I should be aiming to consume 300 calories per hour during longer training sessions. Part of my problem this weekend was that I only packed half my snacks thinking I'd do two loops and make a pit stop at my car. Instead, I was feeling brave and ventured further than I intended to make one long out and back. Another part of the problem was that the shot bloks just started to taste too sickly sweet - so I didn't even finish what I'd stuffed into my Bento box. The final part of the problem was not even thinking of buying more food during a stop at a country store. Why? No idea - didn't even consider the option until I was driving home and practically smacked myself in the head when I realized I could have purchased food along with water and Gatorade. Doh. Overall, I probably took in about 500 of the 1200 calories I should have. Coach B and Ironwoman Canada have been on me about my training calories - I've really got to nail this down better over the next few weeks.

So, anyway, though I felt fine, I started to wonder if I was hallucinating as I finished up the last few miles. Something skinny and very tall was riding toward me. Wow, must be a giant bicyclist. As our paths crossed, I saw it was an unusual tandem bicycle, with the front rider on some type of double-decker construction. A couple of cyclists on regular road bikes followed behind and gave me a big sh** eating grin.

Interesting.

I chalked it up to a few friends goofing off until a few miles later when several more of these freaky tall contraptions rode by me. As I loaded Patriot Sangria onto my car, my eyes started blinking as I saw the other end of the spectrum - several full grown adults riding bicycles that looked too small for a five year old.

I later Googled to find these pictures of similar "tall bikes" but couldn't track down anything about the tiny bikes. And I still haven't been able to find out what kind of out of the ordinary bike event took place in Richmond last weekend.

Then I chuckled to myself picturing what it would be like to run into one of these bikes at triathlon. Throw on aerobars for maybe even an Ironman!






6 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

It's not food, it's medicine. Taste is irrelevant. Choke it down according to a schedule of time or miles and GOOD LUCK!!!

Tea said...

The schedule works well for me, especially since I'm slower.

Cyndi said...

Love those bikes!! Can you imagine crusing on one of those with a pointy little time trial helmet? There's one way to not take this whole adventure too seriously!! Sounds like you had a great ride!

C

Diane said...

Wow, I'm so impressed with you venturing out alone for such a long ride.
One thing I've found I can eat while riding is Uncrustables peanut butter and honey. They're soft enough to chew while riding, plus they're frozen when you pack them so perfect when you're ready to eat them. Also I've gotten used to Accelerade finally. It doesn't taste great, but i don't get sick of it either.
Good luck!

Jonah Holland said...

sfdFun! I have a friend who makes his own bikes...and cars and ...well everything. Even the old fashioned looking bikes with the HUGE front tire and the mini rear tire. Now all i have to do is get him to race in a TRI.

carmen said...

i see those bikes around vcu
more of them recently
i guess its like driving an suv!

ive been experimenting
with bike nutrition as well
two new non bar block gel items
i like are
lance crackers and
oatmeal cookies