CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Two Months

Yikes, it has been almost two months since my last blog post. Even my Dad, one of the most laid back people in the world, gave me a gentle nudge while visiting last week for Easter.

Since the Virginia is for Lovers 14K, workouts have picked up a bit. It hasn't been a great start to the season. My family lost a close relative a few weeks ago, shifting priorities during two visits to New York in ten days. I have also caught one stupid bug after the other. Bronchitis, serious sinus infection, stomach virus - and yesterday, after finishing a tour of the upcoming Kinetic Half course with a fellow Guppy, the sinus and chest congestion flared up with a new symptom, losing my voice.

While none of these ailments have been that awful, they certainly have been draining and annoying. I haven't been this consecutively sick in a long time - probably since my first year of teaching in 1990. All the nose wiping, diaper changing and general little kid exposure tested my immune system to the limit. The silver lining was a super strong resistance that lasted quite awhile. It seems this natural vaccine was good for twenty years.

So, I've missed workouts here and there. And recovery days have been more about trying to knock these germs out of my system than rebuilding muscle and resting.

My first triathlon race of the year, Rumpus in Bumpass Olympic, is next week. On my birthday. This is a fun course and I know I can finish - and as long as my health stays where it is or gets better, I should have a reasonable race. Probably not a PR, but within range.

The May Kinetic Half worries me a bit more. But I have a few more weeks before taper, so we'll see how things go.

1 comments:

tri-ing races not cases said...

Hopefully the chilly water will scare your cold out of you this weekend :) Looking forward to celebrating your bday with you with a great race followed by good wine with friends.