CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 07, 2009

Reflections

Over a month has passed since IMUSA.

The race report took forever to write - unlike Florida's.

And "unlike Florida" is what I've found myself saying many times this past month as I've reflected on IMUSA and IMFL.

Leaving me wondering if IMFL was a fluke.

I loved so much about IMFL. The training, the start, the swim, the weather, most of the bike, most of the run, the crowds, the finish. Other than a few miles on the bike and run - I felt pretty darn great the whole race.

IMUSA, on the other hand, seemed like a struggle from the start.

Like the apprehension before signing up.

Like an injury that affected my spirit and confidence about running maybe more than my physical capabilities.

Like bike rides that helped my hill climbing, but also made me realize how much still needed to improve.

Like the complications from a switch in asthma meds that took weeks to notice.

Like race day challenges, from cramps to broken toes to weird nutrition issues.

Like losing your furkid two days after the race - and knowing your husband bore the brunt of some really tough conversations.

And while there were also many wonderful moments, too - new milestones, awesome coaching, great workout buddies, challenging and fun training camps, stretches on the bike and run course, amazing family and friend sherpas, the beautiful house we stayed in, a great IM gift from my folks...

I've concluded that Florida...

was magical.

But maybe the challenges of Lake Placid were more....

Ironman.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

For me, IMFL was also a magical experience. I'm not sure it can be replicated. IMBrazil, while amazing, just didn't feel the same. Weird.

TriGirl Kate O said...

The magic is gone, but that doesn't mean it wasn't worth it. I learned sooo much about myself in training for and racing IMUSA. There is value in that. Any way I can talk you into IMMOO in 2011?!

Cyndi said...

Deanna, It's so funny that you say that. I feel the exact same way -- which is why I can't write a race report about it. I don't have a lot of "warm & fuzzies" about the race. There was, indeed, something truly magical about Florida. I don't know . . . maybe because we were all new. All scared together. No expectations but to finish. No drama. We were very much a "family" of training partners. IMLP just wasn't the same for me, either. I really cherish the memory of IMFL with all of you guys. And, if IMLP was more "Ironman" then I want to go back to just being a regular gal, trying my hardest to do a really cool thing and soaking up every moment along the way!! It's a lot more fun that way!!

XO, DB. I sure hope I get to share in the training with you in the next go-round. Make no mistake: your energy and spirit is most definitely part of the IMFL magic!