CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, May 29, 2009

Torturefest 2009 - Day 3 - The Looong Run

(These Torturefest posts are taking me so long to write, I am forgetting details - and it may be race day before I finish.)

Sunday started off chillier than Saturday. The cool, brisk - and clean feeling - air - was a welcome surprise for our long run.

The goal was to run for about three hours. For some of us, that meant 20 miles, though for most of us it turned out to be around 16-17.

Our same group from yesterday's bike started the run together by looping around Mirror Lake. As we made a quick pit-stop in Starbucks, I checked with TRIgirl SS. The group pace seemed a bit ambitious for me. Thankfully, she was open to the idea of dropping back a bit. We headed out again and stayed within fairly close sight of the other girls for a good chunk of the rest of the lake loop, even briefly catching up before the run out and back to take a few photos in front of an "Athletes Training" street sign.

This may be shocking to a few of you - but I enjoyed the run. My legs felt good the whole time and the pace was comfortable. TRIgirl SS was great company. Sometimes we'd talk; other times we'd just run quietly together. There were a few rollers on the out and back, but nothing too daunting. It was perfect running temperature. And the prettiest run course I've ever done - from babbling brooks to great mountain views.

Sherpa Extra K met us on the run a few times - which was wonderful for removing a few layers and grabbing more gus and water.

The tough part of the course - the crazy hills into and in town - were waiting for us during the last couple of miles. They were hard - but not too, too long. My guess is I'll be walking up parts of them on race day.

But as we finished the run - and I still felt pretty darn good - I briefly wondered if this might become the first race where I will actually look forward to getting of the bike. Then I remembered, it wasn't likely to be in the 50-60s in July. Then again, maybe it will be by the time I start running!

Back at the house, eating and massages were on the rest of the afternoon's schedule. Then dinner at The View - including celebrating TRIgirl SS' upcoming 50th birthday. My dinner was yummy, but the 4-5 tiny scallops barely took up a third of the plate - not a recommended meal choice for "Athletes Training."

0 comments: