CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 20, 2008

Another Example

I've posted before about my aversion to going to the doctor and my lack of being aware of what is going on in my body.

Before the Chesapeake swim, I was having some trouble with my left shoulder. I chalked it off to the super long workouts - especially when it seemed to get better after the swim that kicked my...

Until a month or so ago when I noticed the discomfort again. My shoulder wasn't happy when swimming, though I ignored it. Taking off my shirt at night became a painful event. I literally was dragging my bad arm up using the momentum of pulling my shirt off with the good arm.

Still, though, I just ignored it - and thought I was being a wimp.

I didn't want to say anything before MightyMan, because I didn't want to hear what I expected to be the answer.

So I kept mum until after MightyMan. When I finally told Ironwoman Canada, pointing to the bothersome area. All the time expecting to hear - you need to go to the doctor and rest for a few weeks.

But she said - that sounds like tendonitis. Take Ibuprofren (where I interrupted and said how I don't like to take drugs, until she pointed out this was part of the treatment - not to just mask the symptoms) and ice it for a week or so.

Not completely convinced, I started on the Ibuprofen (I wasn't quite as consistent with the icing). I had no idea how bad things were until they started to get better. Not quite 100%, but a noticeable improvement!

I could take my shirt off by lifting both arms up.

I could sleep at night without keeping my left arm tucked into my side.

And today, I swam. Holy cow - my left arm could actually "pull" too.

Maybe next time, I'll speak up a little sooner.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I have a lot of problems with that these days and rest seems to be the main solution. Drives me nuts, especially considering I'm trying to increase my yardage significantly. If the ibuprofen and rest don't take care of it, you might want to have your stroke analyzed and try new strength training that focuses closely on those tiny shoulder muscles. Hmm, perhaps I should start taking my own advice again :-)

Kate said...

I am happy you feeling better and you took care of this. Injuries just plain suck.

Fave said...

sometimes i think that Ironwoman may know what she's talking about :)

Annn said...

bad kettle!

BAD KETTLE!!!

You should ALWAYS get this stuff checked out after telling EVERYONE around you!!!

Anonymous said...

Are you absolutely sure that this wasn't your wine glass lifting arm????? JK!
Glad to hear you're feeling better, and that it wasn't something more serious. To quote Kate, "injuries suck". (so true)