CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 18, 2006

An Apple a Day...

Anyone who knows me probably has noticed I am not one to run to the doctor. The last time I went to the doctor for anything more than an annual physical was when I was diagnosed with walking pnemonia a few years back.

So I think I surprised a few people today by going to a Sports Medicine doctor, without being dragged in kicking and screaming. I decided to go for a couple of reasons. I heard Dr. S speak at a TriGirl clinic – and just connected with her approach. And I realized going to see her could possibly help ward off two problems I’ve been experiencing – occasional hip discomfort which has progressively lessened as I’ve lost weight this year and elbow pain which has worsened over the past month. I figured with all the IM training coming up – it would only be to my benefit to work out these kinks that have been a bit of a nuisance. Though, I have to admit, with double amputees and ALS victims completing IMs – I felt a little like a whiny baby.

I arrived at Dr. S’s brand spanking new and quite welcoming clinic to fill out the usual paperwork. Dr. S is a remarkable woman – she is pregnant with her third baby - about 6 weeks from her delivery date – and moving around with the grace of an athlete – which she is. (Coach G and Dr. S are the only two women I know who have six packs over their pregnant bellies.)

I tell Dr. S about my elbow – she feels around, asks a few questions and reassures me that it is tennis elbow – something we should be able to address. For the next three weeks, I’ll be wearing an impressive wrist contraption and below the elbow band. As soon as I put it on, I feel relief in my elbow.

Onto my hip – after explaining the symptoms, Dr. S suspects weakness and recommends several exercises – leg raises and sitting high knee raises (these are my descriptions, not hers) to help the problem. She also conducts a gait analysis on my running.

It is kind of interesting/humbling to see videos – at all angles - of yourself running. Dr. S points out what I am doing well – and what are problems. I have good foot strike with both feet. My left leg has good alignment, but poor front raise (probably related to the hip weakness). My right leg crosses over the midline too much, with a duck like foot kick off, but good front raise and kick back. My arms are inefficient – crossing the midline way too much and flopping around. To help my gait, Dr. S diagnosed several exercises and drills, including medial calf raises (with toes pointed in), running keeping my feet on either side of a street white line and concentrating on keeping my elbows behind my waist, using a more forward to backward vs. across my body movement.

By the end of the two hours I spent in Dr. S’s office, I felt more comfortable than I’ve ever experienced with any doctor – especially on a first visit. I liked the way she explained what was going on with my body without me asking (why is it I always have to say “What was it?” when getting my blood pressure or pulse checked???). I liked her honest, but caring approach. She gave me a hug and wished me “Happy Holidays” before I left – and it seemed completely genuine and appropriate.

With two follow-up appointments scheduled over the next two months – I can say for the first time – I’m looking forward to going back to the doctor!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an excellent sports md.
Amazing how our gait, stance, arm position can effect so many things.
Think we all need to have an analysis of same on a regular basis...who knows how our performance and comfort would improve!
Mamayogasan