CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, May 04, 2008

White Lake - Race Report

"...Even the birds were chirping nervously," observed TRIsherpa GG as he recorded the White Lake morning preparations on his digital camera.



After four-five hours of sleep (I think a group of triathlon volunteers were partying it up outside my window till midnight), race morning dawned bright and clear. Our Lake Shore Condo group was organized, efficient and fairly calm. We were only a half mile or so from the start - an easy warm-up as we pedaled our bikes to the transition area. TRIsherpa GG followed in his car with our gear in tow.


I wasn't feeling 100% - there was a heaviness in my chest and sinuses - but the sore throat/cold/allergy attack was better than it had been for the previous few days. Thankfully, my pre-race stomach was fairly calm - only one or two trips to the port-o-potties.

Pre-race, I ran into Guppy KB and many TRIgirls. I am not sure what percentage of women racers were with our crew, but everywhere I turned, there were friendly and familiar faces. Words can't describe how awesome it was to see so many of my team mates in wave 11.

The gun sounded. Since drafting has become less foreign, I was hoping to catch the feet of someone slightly faster than me. Unfortunately, it seemed like the fast group took off quickly, with only a few other women and me straggling along in the middle. Even though I couldn't catch a draft, the first two-thirds of the swim went well. I think I zig-zagged a bit for the last 750. Overall, with a kind current, the swim felt smooth.

Climbing the ladder to exit the water, both calves hinted at cramps, which probably should have signaled a red flag. I looked at my watch and realized Garmin was completely screwed. Jogging to transition, I saw a few strong TRIgirl swimmers preparing for the bike, so I figured my swim was decent.


Since Garmin was not behaving reliably, I was on my own for the rest of the race. I tried not to dawdle too much in TI. Heading off on the bike, I was happy. The course was flat, though the wind was stronger than predicted - up to 20 mph gusts. I pushed a bit when the wind was behind me and cruised along more conservatively during the course's long consecutive stretches with 15-20 mph winds. Yeah, a bunch of guys passed me, but not many women (Okay, I was in the second to last wave, so that may have been a factor). TRIgirl CD DID pass me - like a female Lance, she whizzed by, and all I could do was smile.

Getting off the bike, I was happy, my legs FELT GOOD.


I started the run, the first 3-4 miles seemed fine. Unfortunately, the next 8ish miles were a bit of a cluster. Looking back now, I realize I was trying to hydrate from the outside in vs. the inside out. Historically, nutrition while biking has been more of an issue for me, adjusting during a tough, hot run became an unexpected challenge.

During the White Lake run, I threw towels over my neck, dumped water on my head and consumed half a Gu every two miles. It was hot. And I wasn't handling it well. Though I'd been taught to deal with heat and knew better, my head was not in the game. Why didn't I drink more of the sports drink waiting in my fuel belt bottles - or take in electrolyte tablets? TRIgirl LD was one of the few that had a strong run, dealing with the tough conditions.

Since the splits have not yet been posted, I am guessing that a better than hoped swim, T1, bike or T2 carried me through a 17-18 minute PR - 6:24 overall race time. For this, I am most grateful. My run should have been better. Its lackluster results have taught me a few lessons.


But White Lake's most memorable moments transcended my race.

Did I mention 25ish TRIgirls and Guppy friends were participating in White Lake? Including my awe inspiring travel buddies, TRIgirls BL and SJG?


Or that, for many of my team mates, this was their first half IM?

Can I relate how encouraging it was to see all these fabulous, strong women on the course? High fives and encouraging words more frequent then the aid stations?



How my allergy woes were quickly put into perspective by the battles TRIgirls KB, KG, CD and Annnn confronted?

What about the brave, determined TRIgirl who persevered through her fears during a swim that would have left me handing over my chip at T1? Who may have not officially finished the 70.3 within the allotted time, but whose spirit deserved the biggest medal of all?

These were the moments that truly turned White Lake Pink.


9 comments:

Kate said...

Great fun to be part of TG's. You had a great race and you are truly my inspiration!!!!

Unknown said...

Love how you are always smiling - amazing bike split, too :)

sq

katebott said...

Your smile all along the course was such an inspiration to me along the way :0) You are a beautiful triathlete inside and out!

tri-ing races not cases said...

Awesome race report and great race! Thanks for sharing my first half with me! Now, if we were only in the same swim wave.

Unknown said...

DB -

Great race report. Always a pleasure to give you a shout out as you wizz by on patriot sangria. You are awesome on your bike! Enjoyed our post race recap in the wonderful, cool waters of White Lake.

~LL

Grandison said...

You are amazing, Deanna! I can see your smiling face out on the course now!
Way to go.

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

enjoyed your post AND the pics!

TriGirl Kate O said...

Skinny thigh kate here,
Man I wish I could've been there. Next time, I promise.
What's this I hear about IMLP? Are we in?

Robin said...

Congrats on your strong race and awesome PR! You look like you were having a great time with all of your friends in the pics.