CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

When Did Virginia Become Florida?

I've been a bit out of the loop the past few days.

I spent four awesome days with my family in NY - for my mom's retirement and birthday. Was able to see my brother and sister-in-law's beautiful new home (with an in-ground pool that I may have to visit in the near future for "training"). I even squeezed in a few workouts.

If you are ever on Long Island - and need a place to swim, check out the Nassau County Aquatics Center. After finding out my parents no longer belong to our local pool - and that the "alumni privileges" at my alma mater only offer monthly pool memberships - and that the YMCA "AWAY" program only included NY Ys in scary parts of the boroughs - I hit gold with this indoor pool facility with a reasonable non-resident fee. The pool was beautiful - though I wished the 50 meter lanes had been open.

From afar, I tracked Ironwoman Canada as she competed in Lake Placid (with an amazing fourth place finish) and many of the TRIgirls as they competed in a local sprint (with awesome times and great stories (especially the post race party)).

Back home, unpacked and cuddled up with the furkids, I was looking forward to finishing the week with a few good workouts. My bag was packed with swim gear for tomorrow's Masters class - where I was hoping to catch up with Guppies, TRIgirls and maybe even Ironwoman Canada.

Until I saw the weather report. Starting around 3 pm, thunderstorms are predicted.

I don't remember afternoon thunderstorms being so commonplace in Virginia's previous years - but for whatever reason, they are a regular occurrence this year. After a few too many annoying pool closings this year during the evening Masters class, I've revised my plan and am going to try to swim in the morning.

I am ready for Fall.

2 comments:

Alex said...

You're right about the Nassau Aquatics Center. Back in my swimming days, I competed in the US Open there, and it is one of the nicest pools I've been in.

Diane said...

Thanks for the tip about the pool in Long Island - I'll be there in a few weeks and if it's anywhere close to where I'm staying, I'll have to check it out. You looked great in the Richmond pool this morning!