CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, January 01, 2007

Remembering It Is 2007

Happy New Year!

It usually takes a month or two for my brain to completely realize it is a new year. I’ll subconciously write checks or date documents with the previous year and end up with a nice ole stack of extra recycling.

I wonder if this year will be different. Because of IMFL, I’ve thought much more about the upcoming year as Father Time graciously waited for Baby New Year these last few months. Starting this week, our IM training picks up intensity, easing me one step closer to hopefully crossing the finish line in Panama City. And because of Fezzy, I have an extra reminder to appreciate every moment – and not spend too much time daydreaming about what is ahead. He has already doubled in size and I know by the end of 2007, the wonderful puppy period will start to be a memory.

I’m not one to make formal New Year’s resolutions – my latest goals for IMFL might count to some degree. But there are two things I think I’ll add to the list.

  • Improve my eating habits. I lost 17-18 pounds in 2006 as a result of training hard and eating 1 ½ meals during my weight loss period. I’ve been working on eating more often – but it is hard to break old habits. So, I’d like to focus on consistently incorporating some sort of breakfast (besides coffee or juice) and a healthy snack or two during the day.
  • Keeping work in balance. I love my job, but for about six to eight months of the year it can be extremely demanding. For a significant chunk of the past year, I easily clocked in over 60 hours/week – with many weeks closer to 80 hours. There are several reasons for the long hours – the main one simply being a very heavy workload. While I am still driven and eager to give my best for my company, I really believe “my best” would be improved by ensuring a better ratio of “quality vs. quantity.” There will be times when an 80 hour week is necessary - but figuring out strategies to make sure it isn’t happening so often that it causes burnout – is important – especially with future training weeks of 20-25 hours in the picture!

Wishing everyone a wonderful 20067!

3 comments:

carmen said...

On Resolution One--you missed our discussion at TRIgirl coffee this morning, but I was extolling the virtues of breakfast. When I first lost 40 pounds a couple of years ago, adding breakfast to my daily repertoire was the main change I made. i never thought my stomach could handle food that early, but it has adjusted, and I contribute much ofmy success with weight loss to this wonderful habit.

Amen to working fewer hours--perhaps also considering the efficiency that buttercup commented on in the previous post...

TriGirl 40 said...

Dang, I wish I made it to TRIgirl coffee today. Thanks for the feedback - and I'll tell the Butt that you think she was on track with her post.

Diane said...

Good luck with your goals in 2007! I'm surprised th read about your weight loss in 2006 - I remember you from a few years ago as being tiny (like now).

One thing that worked for me when I lost weight two years ago was to eat a salad every day, either for lunch or dinner. Another was to serve myself half my usual amount of food, then wait 30 minutes after I ate it to make sure I was still hungry. It kept me from cleaning my plate without thinking with unnecessarily large portions.