CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

The Best Flip Turn Drill Ever

Monday Guppies...


Quick aside - Ironwoman Canada had the crazy idea to move me to the faster lane this past Monday. This has happened a few times when some of the speedier guppies do not show up. I actually kind of like it because I much prefer to be the last person in the lane than having to lead. Though my favorite scenario is when TRIgirl BL comes - and I am able to fall in behind her in our normal lane. Or on the very rare occasion when Coach B takes pity on me...

Anyway, moving on to something much more interesting - Monday's flip turn drill.

We'd just finished a slew of one arm, breathe away and sprint sets when Ironwoman Canada plopped water dumbbells at the end of each lane. All sorts of crazy ideas started going through my head - as new equipment usually signals some type of torturous challenge.

Like swimming with sneakers on and shirts tied around your waist. (Or in my case, expending huge amounts of effort to float in place with sneakers on and shirts tied around your waist.)

We were told to grab a weight for each hand as Ironwoman Canada explained the drill. We were to kick with the weights in front of us till reaching the half way point of the lane, flip, letting the weights keep our arms up, then return to the starting point kicking on our backs.

The first attempts for most of us were a comedy of errors.

And then we all started to get it. For the first time, I was able to experience what it should naturally feel like to complete a flip turn, with my arms in the correct position to streamline on my back before rotating to swim.

And the drill not only became the best flip turn lesson ever - but also kind of fun.

So much so, I was sad to see the water weights go.

3 comments:

tri-ing races not cases said...

these sound like fun (and like something I need to practice).

Unknown said...

this is how i feel when ProK lets us wear fins... ;-)

Robin said...

Thanks for sharing that! Sounds like an interesting drill and I will have to give it a try, maybe for my class.