CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, May 17, 2008

A Happy Day - By Patriot Sangria

I seem to be spending more time in the garage lately.

Through the winter, for 3-4 days a week, I proudly stood in my trainer and was visited regularly. While my back tire was worn to the core for countless hours, I was able to watch many TV programs and movies. In between, I cozily rested, sun streaming through the bedroom windows, as I dreamed of weekend outings through the West End and Ashland.

With the arrival of the warmer weather, I've braved the back of many cars for fun and diverse adventures that enabled me to revisit the Eastern Shore, speed through White Lake and casually explore Central Richmond. More outdoor rides has equaled less time on the trainer.

But more time in the garage.

Today, though, brought a surprise.

Very early in the morning, I was startled awake to the garage door opening. Soon we were traveling the familiar roads to West Creek. Many other friends of all styles, sizes, shapes and colors greeted me as we waited in the parking lot and watched the most unusual display - of a red friend propped on a trainer - though we were outside! I heard the topic being discussed.

Hills. I wasn't sure how well that was going to go over.

Finally, we were out on the nub. It was a chilly, bright and clear morning. We rode about 3/4 of the loop.

And then the unthinkable happened.

We circled the same two hills 5, 6, 7 times - I am not sure, I lost count from the dizziness. My gears were played with a bit more, helping me keep a more even pace as we glided round and round the Farmers Bureau.

The outing ended soon after and we headed home. I did not understand why I was left on the back of the car, but fell asleep for a few hours anyway.

Then - there was the sound of the garage door opening - again.

We were off to visit a few more friends. I was transferred to a different SUV rack to join them as we headed down Patterson Avenue. I told my buddies that I thought we might be on our way to the Osborne route.

We were taken off the car by the familiar 7-11.

By this time, the day was perfect. The chill was gone and the sun was shining in the bluest sky.

We rode.

We cruised down Osborne
and into Battlefield Park
and near the boat landings
and through the tree lined stretches
and past the amazing stone cottage
and on new streets when revisiting the Park
and by an awesome house for sale
and, eventually, back to the 7-11.

Two rides in one day.

I'm resting in the garage.

And I am happy.


2 comments:

Jonah Holland said...

I love this post. you are so creative.
Next time you hit Osborne call me, I love driving that route, but I've never biked it, I know that I'd love it.

tri-ing races not cases said...

Lavendar Trek was happy to join you for part of the ride. Poor McQueen had to stay home. I hear a rumor that I'm going to get a face lift, so maybe I'll get out more often.