CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Dog Days of Summer Offer a Break

I am almost afraid to jinx it.

This past week's weather has been...

pleasant.

Whether fiction or fact, I remember these types of summer days as I child. Watching puffy clouds whirl around in vivid blue skies as I pumped my legs on our backyard swing set. Grabbing sweatshirts when the cool nights brought refreshing chills to the air as my friends and I rode our bikes home from the local pool. Lying as still and flat as possible on the beach to soak in the warm sun rays as brisk sea breezes raised goose bumps on my arms and legs.

Summer is a little different in Richmond than it is in Long Island where I grew up. The temperatures are about 5 degrees warmer in Central Virginia, which doesn't seem like much until you factor in the killer humidity.

This past week has been atypical. Walking downtown to meetings didn't leave me a sweaty mess. Coworkers and I shared a lovely alfresco lunches. And workouts...

Tuesday's early morning ride was downright chilly, requiring arm warmers under a long sleeved jersey. (How TRIgirl DL braved the ride with just a short sleeved shirt, I'll never know). Today's run allowed me a much later start with the forgiving temperatures - and was probably the most enjoyable long run I've experienced in awhile.

It is still too early to think Richmond has experienced its last heat wave for 2008 - but the next few days look promising. If this weather pattern can just hold on till mid-September...

the beauty and glory of Fall in Virginia will be here before we know it.

------------------

On a side note, sending wishes for an amazing race to all my friends participating in Timberman this weekend - the race day weather predictions (64-79 degrees) look awesome!

1 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh, nice weather makes training just too perfect. And fall sounds fabulous. Enjoy!