CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Taking a Break

Coach G said something to me the other day that hit home with the way I’ve been feeling lately, “A few years ago I lost ten minutes and have never been able to get them back.”

That is what the past week or so has been like. Sometimes I’ve found myself unconsciously holding my breath or with my shoulders tensed up to my ears.

But, for the most part, it is just the stress of a slightly over crammed everyday life. And I am going to take a few minutes away from it to reflect on some good training stuff from this past weekend.

Saturday, I joined TRIgirl BL, her husband, TRIgirl SJG, her husband and a few of their friends for an early bike ride – the same challenging hilly course from
a few weeks ago. Our pace was over 2 miles per hour faster this week – and I made it up the tough hill without having to jump off and walk. OK, I have to admit, another rider gave me a little push to make it easier – though I consider it negated by being pulled down the next uphill climb by the devilish Mr. SJG.

Time was running out, so while I couldn’t completely finish my brick, TRIgirl SJG and I squeezed in a West Creek nub – almost at our tempo pace – which was pretty impressive considering TRIgirl SJG was battling a cold.


Good stuff!

On Sunday, I met up with TRIgirl BL for a longer run. At the suggestion of TRIgirl SJG, we headed off to Deep Run Park. It had been a long time since I’ve run at this park – and for good reason – there are quite a few challenging hills and even a little off-road turf to deal with. Combined with 40-50 mile per hour winds, the run felt much longer than it actually was. But we completed it – and at a pace that was much better than I expected.

Then it was off to the pool for a solitary swim workout. 2600 quiet, easy meters. A decent timed mile thrown in.


Good stuff!

Bright and early Monday morning, it was time for Guppies. For the first time, I was able to complete a 25 meter no breather swim lap. And 3 25s in a row of (my attempt at) fly.


Good stuff!

I’m about to return to reality, but ahhh, look at that, for now my breathing has slowed down and I’m feeling more relaxed.

Good stuff!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that - "good stuff" :)
Sounds like a Coach Blake kind of compliment..
GREAT job on the no-breather 25 meter - wow!!

sq

tri-ing races not cases said...

Do you mean we didn't actually run a full half at Deep Run in our hour? Certainly felt like it. Next time we're bringing SJG along :)

TriGirl Kate O said...

Wow! I wish I could keep up with you...

Diane said...

You are so awesome!