CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 12, 2009

Feeling Better

2009 has been an interesting year so far.

The moments when things fell into place seemed to be outnumbered by those when things felt off - sometimes due to the physical, sometimes to the mental. IMUSA and the Giant Acorn being obvious examples.

After IMUSA, Ironwoman Canada told me that I needed to cut back. To allow myself to get worse before I could better again.

I did well with getting worse.

And the past week or so, I am finding that I am starting to feel better.

I am not failing as miserably at running. I even had my best 400 about a week and a half ago thanks to some individual attention from Ironwoman Canada. Then, at last week's track workout, Cupcake KO was a wonderful running buddy and pacer. Yesterday, Barracuda BL, the Should Be Sponsored Wife and I went for an easy run. Except none of us seemed to remember the easy part. Great weather and good company had us pushing the pace - maybe to enjoy the coffee reward at the finish.

Less time in the lap lane has been good for my shoulder. Today I had an encouraging Guppy workout. I may have even surprised Ironwoman Canada - she remarked a few times that I looked really good in the water. I almost kept up with one of my Guppy swimming heroes, Sharona, during a 50 sprint. Let's just forget the kicking drills for the moment...

Then there is the bike. I am grateful for a good bike year. This weekend's Seagull metric century ride (kudos to the Peddalin' SQ for completing the full century and achieving impressive TNT fundraising efforts) started off with a discouraging downpour (during which, Barracuda BL, the Should Be Sponsored Wife and I sat in the car and debated bagging the ride to shop instead). Alas, we braved the storm clouds and headed off for a fun day. I would love to do the ride in the future on a beautiful sunny day - but still enjoyed the smooth roads and pretty course. The first 17ish miles were casual. The next 23 included some tough pace line work. And after a decadent rest stop (picture: great band, river view, hot dogs, hamburgers, ice cream and apple pie), we completed the last 23 miles battling crazy cross and head winds.

While part of me would like to say I did the mile century, it was great to finish the ride feeling strong - those last 20 miles of a century can be brutal.

Then today, thanks to Columbus, I was able to join the Should Be Sponsored Wife and the RABA folks for Mondays with Mary. Though chilly, I loved the 35 mile route from Powhatan to Cartersville. Scenic foliage, fast flats, tough hills, challenging rollers and smooth roads - it was great. The Should Be Sponsored Wife was donning her new Fuji - which looked marvelous on her! We warmed up with soup and half-sandwiches afterwards - and I drove home feeling content, sleepy and...

happy.

2 comments:

tri-ing races not cases said...

Yesterday sounds like a fabulous way to celebrate Columbus. And your running looked great on Sunday. I think you need to borrow my word for a while. "Believe"

Unknown said...

Can't wait to ride more with you this winter :)
As I have told you 1,000,000 times (a bit of an exaggeration), you are a great athlete!